Thursday, February 1

a frozen lake, broken doors, and a beautiful day

Well it's been pretty busy lately with hockey and homework but it's good. Last weekend my uncle and his family, my dad, my brother and I went to the cabin to check things out and do some kite boarding. We flew down in my uncle's otter, a big bush plane that, can almost take off in the same distance as a helicopter. Well not quite, but I was definately surprised at how soon after he pushed the throttle the wheels lifted off, definately not more than 4 or 5 seconds.


















Once we got out there we quickly realized that the boathouse and cabin had been broken into. But after a quick inspection, it seemed that the thieves didn't really take anything except some fish hooks. We don't keep a lot of valubles in either place, but there definatley were some things that were worth more than fish hooks. And it didn't bother me so much that they took stuff, but just that somebody would go to somebody's cabin and smash the doors in. I guess nobody is invisible even if your in the middle of nowhere.
My uncle forgot the pump for the kites, so we couldn't do that. We had lunch/supper and fixed the doors, and by the time we were done that it was starting to get dark so we packed up the plane. Funny thing when we tried to leave the skis had frozen to the snow and my uncle gave it full power but we didn't budge. After a few trys I was ready to jump out the door and try to pry them free with a 2x4 or pour a cup of hot water on them (bad idea). Just as I started to open the door the skis broke free and we were off. The take off was just as quick as on the way in and pretty soon we were airborn over the barren blanket of endless trees and ice, flying towards an orange horizon and home. Wow God's creation is amazing!

3 comments:

Jen J said...

That looks like such a blast, no many people can just hop in a plane and take off to their cabin. Lame about the cabin being broken into though, glad nothing huge was taken. Keep working hard at the books.

Cassie said...

Wow, sounds like an adventure!

Yours Truly said...

take me too! looks beautiful
I can't help thinking of the cabin in "Open Season" and the how the bear breaks in to the nasty hunter's cabin. Are you sure a PERSON brok in ;) fishing hooks could be handy for bears....